Thursday, November 6, 2008

Giddy Over My Christmas in the Limelight Project!

Good morning! Mandy, the talented and super nice owner of Limelight Papercrafts, issued an assignment for Limelight's Six Chicks (design team) this month. As November's 7th Six Chick (yes, mathematically impossible :-), but what it means is Guest Designer) I am thrilled to participate! The assignment was to create a Christmas ornament and matching packaging or a matching card. I chose to do the ornament with packaging. I am GIDDY over how this project turned out!!!

I've seen lots of these paper strip ornaments lately, but in my head I decided that something needed to be INSIDE of mine. I didn't love my first try at this. It turned out okay, but I knew I could do better. I'll show you the reject tomorrow. Today, my lovely snowflake ornament is in the LIMELIGHT:


I cut Bazzill Bling Glitz and Bling Diamond into 6" by 1/2" strips. I attached them at both ends with brads. I threaded beads and pearls onto silver cord and attached it between the two brads, pulling it to the height I wanted the ornament to be. I spread the strips of paper out and around to form the ornament. Then I attached to the cord some of these amazing Christmas Magic glittered silk snowflakes from Little Yellow Bicycle. Finally, I stamped some additional snowflakes with the Christmas Magic Stamp set and dangled them from the bottom of the ornament. The snowflakes have Kaisercraft silver rhinestones in the center. I LOVE those things!!

Here is the matching packaging... this is why I am so giddy. I LOVE how this box turned out! I was originally going to do a square box, but I was fiddling around with the window sheet, and decided to try a cylinder. The difficulty was in making a top and bottom. I figured it out, though!! If you can't tell how I did it, but are interested, leave me a comment, and I will see about getting a tutorial together!!



Here is the whole set together:

The ornament is hanging from the brad on the inside of the lid. So when you take the lid off, you bring the ornament with it!! You can take it off of the lid to hang somewhere. I am thinking this would be very pretty hanging from the bottom of a light fixture or from one of those free-standing ornamanent stands, all by itself.

WOW! That was such a fun project to make. I hope you like it as much as I do!!! Now, to whom will I give this lovely creation???

Make sure you check out Mandy's ornament and the Six Chicks' ornaments too:

Becky
Brandi
JenMarie
Katie
Lisa
Ryann

Have a great day, and--

13 comments:

Jill Cooper said...

WOW GORGEOUS! That is all I can say.

Jim C. Hines said...

Oh wow. That's beautiful, Jess!

Christi said...

Wow!! Jess, I absolutely love this!!! What a fantastic idea...and so gorgeous! smiles...

Gretchen said...

Jessica- how beautiful! So creative and yes, I would love to see a tutorial for the box although it looks kind of fancy and involved (I'm kind of a simple mind when it comes to things like that!). Thanks for sharing!

Ryann said...

Wow Jessica! Your ornament and box are perfectly awesome! I love the shade of blue you used and paired with the white it looks soooo good! Great job girl!

Lisa H. said...

wow! the colors are fabulous! and yes, the little something on the inside of the paper strip ornament is a FABulous addition.

JenMarie said...

Oh Jess, this is BEAUTIFUL!

Brandi Parshley said...

WOW! That box is fantastic! Absolutely amazing! I LOVE your ornament too, such a great twist!

Mandy said...

WOW!!! Jessica, these details are just FABULOUS!! I LOVE the snowflakes inside the ornament and dangling down! I love the blue, too!

Kevin Renz said...

Great job! I think everything turned out awesome and I love the cylindrical packaging - so clever!

Ashley Newell said...

This is ADORABLE Jess! I love the ornament with the strips and the fun box!

Tiff said...

These are gorgeous!

Michelle (aka mybelle101) said...

OMGosh, Jess!! WOW! W-O-W! Love how the ornament is suspended in the packaging...just gorgeous and pure genius! :)